Conroe Masonic Lodge


We welcome you to our
Conroe Masonic Lodge #748 AF&AM.

Making Good Men...


Page 1    |    Page 2

HISTORY OF CONROE LODGE No. 748, A. F. & A. M. (Page 3)

Legendary lawman Clint Peoples, of Texas Ranger and U. S. Marshal fame, was a member of the Lodge for more than fifty years prior to his death in 1992 and was granted a life membership in the Lodge in 1973.

The Lodge is presently occupying the third building in its history. The first building was on North Pacific Street near the Union Pacific Railroad tracks on what is now the parking lot of Everett Hardware store. This building was destroyed by fire on February 22, 1911 when the entire business district of Conroe burned. The furniture, fixtures and most of the Lodge's early records were lost. In April 1911, the Lodge purchased a lot on the east side of the present courthouse square and later constructed a two-story building which is still in use today. The Lodge occupied the second floor and leased the first floor for revenue. Early tenants included the U. S. Post Office, Sears Roebuck and Company, and Capitol Drug Store. The Lodge moved into its present quarters at 311 Simonton Street in 1948. The ground floor was leased to J. C. Penney Company for many years and is now occupied by Southwestern Furniture Company.

As the Lodge begins its second century of service, let us rededicate ourselves to the principles and tenets of Freemasonry.

Page 1    |    Page 2