Conroe Masonic Lodge


We welcome you to our
Conroe Masonic Lodge #748 AF&AM.

Making Good Men...


Page 1    |    Page 3

HISTORY OF CONROE LODGE No. 748, A. F. & A. M. (Page 2)

In keeping with Masonic tradition, many members of the Lodge have been actively involved in civic affairs and public school education. D. C. Tharp, the Lodge's second Worshipful Master, was President of the Conroe school district board of trustees in 1899, and in the first municipal election held for City of Conroe officials on January 25, 1905, was elected as one of five aldermen. He served four years as Worshipful Master of the Lodge between 1895 and 1904.

J. O. H. Bennette, who served four years as Worshipful Master between 1908 and 1921, was President of the Conroe school district board of trustees for 17 years and was instrumental in the successful passage of a twenty thousand dollar bond issue in 1910 for the construction of a new school building. After the disastrous fire in downtown Conroe in 1911, the building was constructed of brick at a cost of twenty five thousand dollars. Named the J. O. H. Bennette School, it was the third building owned by the Conroe schools and the first to be constructed of brick. The building itself has long since been demolished, but the property is still in use by the Conroe Independent School District.

Houser Intermediate School is named in honor of Past Master (1954-55) Emmit E. Houser for his years of service to the public schools of Conroe and Montgomery County.

W. M. Conroe, son of the City of Conroe's founder Isaac Conroe, was an active member of the Lodge and was elected and installed Worshipful Master in 1928.

Page 1    |    Page 3