Conroe Masonic Lodge

#748

We welcome you to our
Conroe Masonic Lodge #748 AF&AM.

Making Good Men...

...Better

Page 2    |    Page 3

HISTORY OF CONROE LODGE No. 748, A. F. & A. M. (Page 1)

Dispensation to form a Masonic Lodge in Conroe, Montgomery County, Texas was issued by the Grand Lodge of Texas on May 23, 1893. Conroe Lodge, under dispensation, was set to work on June 3, 1893 by M. C. Leslie, Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Texas, with 23 members. George W. Bartle was the first Worshipful Master and served in 1893 and 1894. On December 6, 1894, the Grand Lodge of Texas, at its annual grand communication in Houston, granted a charter to the Lodge and assigned it number 748. The Lodge has operated continuously for one hundred years and now has a membership of about 465. Its membership peaked in 1986 in excess of 600.

Excerpts from early minutes of the Lodge indicate that on April 20, 1906, the Lodge voted to make a donation of $5.00 to San Francisco Masons for suffering and loss incurred in the San Francisco earthquake and fire. A new floor was installed in the Lodge's first building in 1908 and a motion was passed providing for a fine of fifty cents for spitting on the floor. The Lodge treasury lost $140.00 in 1914 due to a bank failure. Annual dues were waived on September 30, 1917 for members serving our country in WorId War 1.



Page 2    |    Page 3